Friday, October 01, 2004

 

Angels in Playoff Purgatory

How can I be expected to work today when in a matter of hours my beloved Angels will begin an epic three-game series in Oakland to decide the final playoff spot? I can't focus! It's a waste of time and energy to try! We're talking about a division series to decide who goes to the Division Series! Bartolo "The Mule" Colon versus Mark "Your Girlfriend Would Leave You For Me" Mulder! It has been a long, tumultuous season for us Angel fans and by now we're hanging on by a very thin thread. Despite losing some series that they really shouldn't have, I'm proud of the Angels' efforts this year. But to come this close to the playoffs and not make it would be absolutely devastating. I don't even want to consider it right now. All I can do is count down the minutes to Game 1. Part of me wants to think about potential playoff matchups, the stamina of the pitching staff, and whether I could get out of work a little early to make full use of my tickets for Game 4 of the Division Series. I've got to punch that John in the gut though. The way the Halos have played this year, I can only hope and guess as to which team shows up tonight. And that's what kills me; I can't make any assumption on how the team is going to play. It would be one thing if I were sure they would bring consistently good offense and pitching to the diamond and I had to worry about whether the A's would just out duel us. I have absolutely no comfort zone. All I can say is that they've played well in the last week and have shown the ability to rise to the occasion in big games. They don't get much bigger than these next three. I guess it just comes down to faith.

The entire season comes down to the last three games of the year, on the road versus our American League West rivals. I wouldn't have it any other way. This is the way I want to get into the playoffs, by beating the two-time defending division champs in their own house. Throw these two teams in a cage and let whoever comes out represent the West. Leave no doubt, I say.

Jose Guillen's Union appeal hearing is this afternoon. If he should win and be forced to be reinstated to the team, he surely would not play. The Angels have made that crystal clear. But would they be forced to have him in the dugout? I certainly hope not. Can you imagine the tension in there on top of the pressure already there given the magnitude of the series? It would be a decidedly large disadvantage to the Angels. If Jose Guillen has any consideration for the team, he'll take his extra paycheck and stay at home. His teammates might miss him, but they don't need him in the clubhouse right now. They're 4-1 without him and they've got to be thinking about nothing but the Oakland Athletics for the next three (or possibly only two) days. If he wants to save any face at all, he'll keep his out of sight. And I like Jose Guillen. It's nothing personal; it's just about focus.

Here we go, Angel fans. We control our own destiny. Win, and we're in. Do you believe?



<< Home
|

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?