Wednesday, October 20, 2004

 

Upon Further Review...

I want to amend my stance on the Keenan McCardell situation.

I think I may have come off as being against the concept of contract renegotiation or ignorant to the concept altogether. This is not the case. I realize that athletes restructure their contracts all the time in order to give their teams more financial freedom or renegotiate them to reward exceptional play. I have no problem with that.

But both sides have to come to the table in good faith. If the team refuses to sit down and work on a deal, the answer is not to violate the contract currently in place. If I wasn't clear, this is where I feel McCardell is in the wrong. Are the Bucs reasonable in their refusal to renegotiate? Maybe, maybe not, but it's really irrelevent whether the Bucs owe him anything. If they didn't want to talk about it, McCardell should have played out his existing deal and remember how the Bucs valued him when they try to resign him down the line. Pay them back by turning your back on them as a free agent, but don't take a seat when you still have two years remaining on your current contract.



<< Home
|

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?