Tuesday, January 04, 2005

 

Let's Get One Thing Straight

This has nothing to do with sports and it's not even interesting, but I want to get it on record.

There's a saying I have heard used quite a bit lately and it's been used incorrectly. Almost every day I hear or read someone saying "I could care less." Take a second look at that quote and you'll realize that as it's stated here, it implies that the person does indeed care about the issue in question. If a person could actually care less, they obviously care to some extent to begin with.

The correct phrase is "I couldn't care less," which makes sense, and, until recently, that is how I have always heard it used. Somehow, a perfectly clear and comprehensible saying has gone horribly awry. I implore all four of my readers to take whatever steps are necessary to curb this brutal disregard for the proper usage of the English language.




<< Home
|

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?