Wednesday, April 13, 2005

 

Dumb Athletes Always Good For A Laugh

In a recent espn article, Indiana Pacers' forward Jermaine O'Neal explains why NBA Commissioner David Stern wants to raise the league's minimum age requirement from 18 to 20. His theory? What else, racism of course.

"There were seven high school players in the All-Star Game, so why we even talking an age limit?"

Good point. I'll go one step further and ask, Why we even talking about guys skipping college when even a high school English class is apparently a waste of time?

"As a black guy, you kind of think [race is] the reason why it's coming up."

I totally agree. I mean, what other possible explanation could there be?

"You don't hear about it in baseball or hockey. To say you have to be 20, 21 to get in the league, it's unconstitutional."

Okay, I looked into this but I all I saw in there was a bunch of nonsense about a separation of powers and even the Amendments just rambled on about free speech and the right to a speedy trial. I might need Jermaine to shoot me an article number on this one. Guess what I did find though...Congress got an age requirement too. They say you gotta be 25, you gotta be a citizen for 7 years AND you gotta live in the state you represent. That's racial, man.

"If I can go to the U.S. Army and fight the war at 18 why can't you play basketball for 48 minutes?"

This is actually one of my favorite arguments of all-time. Let me take it for a spin, you know, really open her up and see what she can do. If I can go to the U.S. Army and fight the war at 18 why can't I drink a beer? It works in just about any situation. If I can go to the U.S. Army and fight the war at 18 why can't I eat in a nice restaurant without shoes or a shirt on? Now it's your turn. If I can to the U.S. Army and fight the war at 18 why can't I ____________________?

By the way it just occurred to me as I had my third cup of joe, why is it that when you put no sugar or cream in your coffee, they call it black coffee. Racism, man, plain and simple.

Seriously though, there are plenty of practical arguments to be made against an older age requirement in the NBA, but racism? Leave it to a guy who skipped out on college to say something so stupid.



<< Home
|

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?