Monday, October 10, 2005

 

Fearful Prediction: Angels Over Yanks

I predicted that the Angels would rock The Big Unit.

Of course, I told no one of this so it counts for nothing. Thus, I will now go on record with my prediction for tonight's Game Five.

Angels 5, Yankees 2.

Obviously, a prediction for tonight's game from an unabashed Angels fan is not something to take to your bookie and put any money on. I admit, I am somewhat biased....but I am only biased in the sense that this has been such a great series, a real see-saw battle, that it's hard to make any realistic prediction for its final outcome. What do you base it on? It all depends which versions of Colon and Mussina show up, doesn't it? The same could be said for Garret Anderson, Vlad Guerrero and Alex Rodriguez.

In the event of a pick 'em, I might as well go with my team. Sabermetricians, get ready to laugh your asses off....


When "the numbers" make it too close to call, I'll take the team that plays more like a team over the roster of high-priced mercenaries. I'll take the team that still gives two sh_ts about pitching and defense. I'll take the organization that grows talent from within. I'm going with the team that has a reputation for their day-by-day approach and their notoriously quick turnarounds. I certainly won't take a team that makes excuses and lashes out at other teams' managers for what they should have done to help the mighty Yankees. I'm going with the team that's still playing to create its identity over that which sits comfortably atop its historical high-horse, looking down on all the other teams without "mystique," "aura," and a $200+ million bankroll. Yeah, I said it. I'm taking the Angels.

Mussina's magic pixie dust should have well worn off by now. It's a big game/pressure situation so ARod will take care of himself. Bartolo takes pride in his role and knows that, now more than ever, he has something to prove. A Cy Young Award will mean very little if a loss tonight is its asterisk. Vladimir is due. Figgins has got to be counting down the minutes until his redemption. In my heart of hearts, I have to believe that Darin Erstad cannot be struck out by Al Leiter three times in a row.

As I type this, there are twenty sixty-second eternities to pass before the first pitch. Tonight's Game Five is the perfect opportunity for the best team to win. I just hope the best team shows up and plays like I know they can.

Go Angels.



<< Home
|

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?